Help for Hypothyroidism!
So you are a match for hypothyroidism, now what? Good news, there is hope and help is on the way! Soon you will be warm, full of energy, and dry skin will be a thing of the past! Just remember it takes time for your body to adjust to medication and it may take anywhere from 2-8 weeks to feel like a new day has dawned in your body!
Hypothyroidism is generally treated for life, although there can be some conditions that warrant only temporary treatment. Generally, Synthroid which is a synthetic version of the generic Levothyroxine is the traditional prescription for treatment and contains T4. Armour thyroid which is desiccated bovine thyroid tissue is the preference of most holistic physicians and is a combination of T4 and T3. Thyroid medication is best taken on an empty stomach and away from any fiber, iron, or calcium supplements or food as they can bind the thyroid hormone right out of the body! Hypothyroidism is most often the result of an autoimmune condition called Hashimoto’s thyroiditis which causes inflammation of the thyroid gland. In this condition, the immune system attacks the thyroid tissue as if it was a foreign body, hence the need for anti-inflammatory nutrients. Along with medication, there are other therapeutic measures to enhance your thyroid function and to maximize the benefits of your medication.
Foods to Avoid!
- Gluten – found in wheat, barley, rye, kamut and spelt
- Goitrogens – found in unfermentated soy products and in lesser amounts in vegetables such as broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts and cabbage
- Processed Foods – including sugar, alcohol, and caffeine
- Nightshade vegetables – tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplant (these may not be problematic for everyone with a thyroid condition)
Nutrients to Embrace!
- Essential fatty acids are anti-inflammatory and aid in hormone production
- Bromelain (found in pineapples) reduces inflammation
- Calcium and magnesium aid in many metabolic processes
- Vitamin C helps the liver to convert T4 to the active T3 hormone and decreases inflammation
- B Complex vitamins all have their role to play in thyroid health and energy production
- Selenium is needed to convert T4 to T3 and without it T3 cannot be produced in adequate amounts
- Zinc is also needed to convert T4 to T3 as well as support the immune system
- Exercise improves thyroid function, especially weight training or anaerobic exercise as it boosts metabolism (this doesn’t mean becoming a body builder!)
- Acupuncture “may be helpful in correcting hormonal imbalances, including thyroid disorders” according to the University of Maryland Medical Center
- Hot and cold applications to the neck and throat may also stimulate thyroid function, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Alternate 3 minutes hot with 1 minute cold. Repeat three times for one set. Do two to three sets per day.
Make sure to talk to your doctor about the best treatment program for your body and get your thyroid levels checked every few months especially at the beginning of your medication. You may feel better in a short amount of time once you start taking thyroid medication, but that isn’t a license to quit your medication! If you notice your hypothyroid symptoms aren’t improving or you start experiencing hyperthyroid symptoms, notify your doctor immediately.
Lakeview Family Wellness is your #1 Eastside and Seattle Wellness Center. We are a naturopathic medical clinic located at the very northern tip of Lake Washington between Seattle and Bothell in the city of Kenmore. At Lake View Family Wellness, we specialize in integrative medicine for the whole person. We emphasize people and not diseases while offering practical, real solutions to conditions and concerns such as: Diet, fitness, preventive care, women’s health, men’s health, cancer, chronic pain, common colds, autoimmune disease, and genetics.
Naturopathic medicine provides alternative, natural solutions for the most stubborn conditions. The doctors at Lake View Family Wellness utilize individualized nutrition strategies, pharmaceutical grade supplementation, intravenous (IV) therapy and a host of lifestyle modifying tools to make sure you reach your health goals. Creating opportunity for your body to overcome disease and surge in health is our number one priority. We hope to encourage and enable you to reach untold heights in your health journey. We look forward to serving you here at Lake View Family Wellness!
Call us today to schedule an appointment with one of our doctors at 425-219-4325 (HEAL)
Dr. Jeff Thomas, ND
Dr. James Pendleton, ND
Dr. Carrie Miller, ND
Dr. John Catanzaro, ND