Going, going, GONE!
So you have a bladder infection, your first instinct if you are like most people is to run for the cranberry juice or to your doctor’s office for antibiotics! Burning, painful urination with a constant “urge to go” are not symptoms that you want to endure for very long. With bladder infections being so common, every woman should save this information for future access even if it’s just to help a friend in her hour of need.
- Generally most bladder infections are caused by the E. coli bacteria which travel from the colon to the bladder via the urethra.
- However, in some cases if it is the result of a blockage or obstruction, such as a kidney stone or an enlarged prostate, surgery may be needed.
- If symptoms occur frequently it could be caused by other conditions, such as interstitial cystitis, and not the result of a bladder infection.
- Using a diaphragm or spermicides that contain nonoxynol-9 may put women at higher risk of developing a bladder infection.
- Using a urinary catheter for a prolonged period of time.
- Neglecting the “urge to go”.
- Poor hygiene as in wiping from back to front instead of from front to back! Also not emptying the bladder before and after sex can increase the risk for a bladder infection.
- Water and lots of it!
- D-Mannose assists in removing E. coli from the urinary tract to outside the body.
- Cranberry Juice…just be sure to use 100% unsweetened cranberry juice.
- The herb, Uva ursi contains arbutin a chemical that has antiseptic and analgesic properties that are helpful in clearing the urinary tract of bacteria.
- Antibiotics should only be used when absolutely necessary and not as the first line of defense as they not only kill bad bacteria, but good bacteria as well. This in turn can set you up for a yeast infection, not a good trade off!
How are you saying goodbye to bladder infections?
Lakeview Family Wellness is your #1 Eastside and Seattle Wellness Center. We are a naturopathic medical clinic located at the very northern tip of Lake Washington between Seattle and Bothell in the city of Kenmore. At Lake View Family Wellness, we specialize in integrative medicine for the whole person. We emphasize people and not diseases while offering practical, real solutions to conditions and concerns such as: Diet, fitness, preventive care, women’s health, men’s health, cancer, chronic pain, common colds, autoimmune disease, and genetics.
Naturopathic medicine provides alternative, natural solutions for the most stubborn conditions. The doctors at Lake View Family Wellness utilize individualized nutrition strategies, pharmaceutical grade supplementation, intravenous (IV) therapy and a host of lifestyle modifying tools to make sure you reach your health goals. Creating opportunity for your body to overcome disease and surge in health is our number one priority. We hope to encourage and enable you to reach untold heights in your health journey. We look forward to serving you here at Lake View Family Wellness!
Call us today to schedule an appointment with one of our doctors at 425-219-4325 (HEAL)
Dr. Jeff Thomas, ND
Dr. James Pendleton, ND
Dr. Carrie Miller, ND
Dr. John Catanzaro, ND